8.04.2011

Film Review: Bette Davis

Bette Davis has long been imitated and revered since she stamped her presence among us in her first major role as Laura Madison in The Bad Sister (1931). Her lustful large eyes, her penetrable gaze, her way of talk, and her sharp movements, not to stroll over her impeccable talents, have imprinted in our psyches, and remind us of the golden age of brilliant Hollywood drama. Here I have some of my personal favorites of Davis's genius.

1. All About Eve (1950)
Yes, it quite certainly is all about Eve, but I feel that this was Bette Davis's most stunning role out of her entire filmography which spans over 100 films. My favorite moment was of Davis's character Margo bluntly drawling, "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night." I was content with the ending, which is rare for me. The gowns were completely luxurious and timeless, and the sets were of a darling feel.

2. What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
This is a classic horror film, what with the bizzare, gross violence and even more bizzare rationale of Baby Jane Hudson, played by Bette Davis. Her powerful eyes threw a haunting, miserable gaze even through the television screen, despite being in black and white. Something about the twisted mind-workings behind the lonely child star gave me a hint of what to expect at the end, and also kept me intricately enchanted. And there's Joan Crawford. I mean, c'mon! It's Joan Crawford!

3. Jezebel (1938)
There is allurement in this film, that's all I've to say. Oh, and Julie's confidence and self-assurance took me in shock! You need to watch this film, if at least for the fanciful, fluffy, impossible ensembles.

4. The Nanny (1965)
I don't know what it is, but I'm simply fascinated by any and all of Davis's more sinister and spine-chilling roles. It certainly leaves an impression in your mind. I've viewed this three times, but I still don't understand at all what happened. It's all such a confusing blur of creeps, and Mother refuses to share her film knowledge.
Plus, this film's British.

5. The Letter (1940)
Now, this one, I did not enjoy. Or remember very well, actually. You see, it faded in my mind as each scene occured. Bette Davis was not like she was in other films; I thought of her as just one of those many actresses of the decade, generic and not special, and that's never good. I felt that this was all very fussy, over-thought, and just plain creepy, in a bad way, with Ong. His eyes and smile were very creepy. . .